New or Significantly Altered Models
- 1997 Mercury Mountaineer
- Introduced in early/mid-1996 as a 1997 model is the Mercury Mountaineer. Mountaineer is essentially a Explorer with a standard V-8 engine and trim changes. Standard features include power equipment, premium cloth seats and running boards. The Mountaineer can be ordered with two option packages. These packages add amenities such as powered seats and a moonroof.
- 1997 Mercury Tracer sedan
- Along with its sibling the Escort, the Tracer is restyled for 1997. Changes include new interior and exterior styling, an improved powertrain, and an updated suspension. Tracer is offered in GS and LS four-door models and the LS wagon.
- 1997 Mercury Tracer wagon
- 1997 Mercury Cougar
- Cougar celebrates its 30th anniversary with a special edition trim package. The appearance package includes special wheels, badging, and a sport suspension. Interior upholstery receives special 30th anniversary logos embroidered into the seats. Other interior changes include an updated instrument cluster and seat cloth.
- 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis
- For 1997 the Grand Marquis receives steering control upgrades.
- 1997 Mercury Mystique
- The Spree appearance package added in mid-1996 is the big change for 1997.
- 1997 Mercury Sable
- The 3.0 Vulcan V-6 has a revised catalytic converter configuration that allows it to be qualified as a Transitional Low Emission Vehicle in California and similar states. The 24-valve Duratec V-6 receives an upgraded powertrain control module.
- 1997 Mercury Sable wagon
- 1997 Mercury Villager
- Rear air conditioning controls, and quad captain chairs are now standard on the GS and LS models.