- 1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 4d sedan
- Mercedes' C-Class includes the C230, C280, and C36 models. The C230 replaces last-year's C220. Although the newer 2.3-liter engine still produces 148hp, the torque has improved to 162 lb-ft. All C-Class models will benefit from a new adaptive five-speed automatic transmission. Horsepower on the limited production C36 has been increased to 276. Torque for the C36 is rated at 284 ft-lbs. Only 200 C36s will be imported in 1997.
- 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 4d sedan
- The E300 Diesel, E320, and E420 are virtually unchanged following a redesign in 1996.
- 1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- There are 5 S-Class models for 1997: S320 (standard and long wheelbases), S420, S500 (coupe and sedan), and S600 (coupe and sedan). The S500 and S600 sedans receive new bumpers to house a parking assistance system. All models receive door-mounted side airbags, rain-sensor controlled intermittent wipers, and new alloy wheels.
- 1997 Mercedes-Benz S-Class coupe
- 1997 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class 2d convertible
- New for 1997 is the optional glass hardtop for SL models. Three SL-Class models are offered: SL320, SL500 and the SL600. ASR traction control is now standard on all of these models including the SL320. The rain sensor controlled windshield wipers are added all SLs.