New or Significantly Altered Models
- 1997 Dodge Dakota
- The Dakota previously sat somewhere between the compact pickup trucks and the full-size pickup trucks. The all-new 1997 model adds more size, a refined chassis and new styling to create what is effectively a Ram-Lite. Dakota is available in Base, Sport, and SLT trim levels. Both 2WD and 4WD versions are offered. Three engines are available: the 2.5L I4, the 3.9L V-6 or the 5.2L V-8. Dakota also offers a club cab variant.
- 1997 Dodge Dakota club cab
- 1997 Dodge Avenger
- Like its counterpart the Chrysler Sebring, the Avenger receives updated front and rear fascia styling. ES models with the V-6 now include 17-inch wheels and 215/50 HR 17 Tires.
- 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular cab
- Numerous minor interior changes including rear window tinting and additional cup-holders. Frame improvements on the 3500 model increase the bending strength of the frame. All frames receive a new electro-static coating to prolong appearance. Ram trucks equipped with the 5.9-litre diesel engine receive an improved throttle control system. Ram Sport with the 5.9-litre V8 receives a new exhaust system that decreases back pressure and increases engine output by 15 hp.
- 1997 Dodge Caravan
- An AWD version of the Caravan is available in the long wheelbase 3.8L V-6 model. Included in the ES package and optional on the LE package is a traction control system that uses brake application to reduce wheelspin.
- 1997 Dodge Intrepid
- The 3.5L engine is now available as an option on the base model.
- 1997 Dodge Neon
- New structural oil pan for reduced noise during operation.
- 1997 Dodge Neon 2d
- 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 club cab
- 1997 Dodge Ram Van wagon
- 1997 Dodge Stratus
- The intake manifold and oil pan on the standard 2.4-litre 4 cylinder are revised this year to help to reduce engine noise during operation. Buyers of the ES model opting for the 2.5L V6 will receive the Autostick transmission.
- 1997 Dodge Viper
- The Viper coupe joins the RT/10 Viper for 1997. An all-new resin body adds an appealing roof to the flashy viper body. Use of resin body materials reduces the overall weight of the vehicle by 60 pounds. The GTS sports a 450 horsepower V-10 engine. GTS also has dual airbags for the safety conscious exotic buyer.
- 1997 Dodge Viper Convertible